Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Filo-Wrapped Asparagus

So I thought this recipe looked interesting enough to try and I'll probably make it again.  Nice light afternoon snack or appetizer to a meal.  I liked the thin crunch of filo dough and if you like asparagus - you'll love this treat!  I wasn't too sure about the dip at first.  I thought the ingredients were kind of strange.  I would have never thought of putting it together.  However, it was a very pleasant surprise to my taste buds and a must to have along with the asparagus.  Enjoy :D

***Quick tip: If you decide to make these ahead of time or have any leftovers, reheat in the oven or a toaster over so the filo gets crisp again.  Reheat for 3 mins. at most, otherwise they will overcook & not be good.  Also, the dip is only good the day you make it.  It can not be made ahead. I learned that mistake. :-/

Serves 4

Ingredients for the dip:

1/2 cup of natural cottage cheese
1 Tbsp. of low-fat organic milk
4 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
2 Tbsp. of chopped fresh mixed herbs: basil, sweet mint & tarragon
Pepper

Ingredients for the asparagus:

20 Asparagus spears*
5 sheets of filo dough (plenty in 1 box; usually found in freezer section with desserts)

Make it:

Preheat over to 375 degrees

Make your dip first by combining the cottage cheese in a bowl and adding the milk.
Beat until smooth then stir in the scallions, chopped herbs, and pepper to taste.
Place the serving bowl, covered lightly in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.

Snap off ends of the asparagus where they naturally snap - this gives the best taste of the asparagus.
With a vegetable peeler, shave off any woody parts from the spears.

Cut the filo dough into quarters and place one sheet on a clean cutting board.
Brush filo lightly with water (NOT too much or it won't be workable).
Place one spear at one end and roll up.
Place each rolled asparagus on a large baking sheet.
You may want to lightly spray non-stick.

Bake for 10-12 minutes (I did 11 minutes and they were PERFECT), but every oven varies.
Or bake until the pastry is golden.
Serve with dip on the side.

*My grandmother taught me a cool trick when I lived with her when I was attending college in AR that I thought I'd share with all of you.  I had never heard this before she told me about it. You should wash your asparagus when you get it home, then place them in a large glass wide enough so they're loosely fitting and fill the glass halfway with water, and place them in your fridge. They will keep longer than just throwing them in the vegetable drawer.  I've never met anyone who could eat a whole bundle at one time, unless you were cooking for a party! And you can cook a couple at a time whenever you want to cook asparagus with a meal.  Works great when you're cooking for just yourself or for 2.

No comments: