Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fried Rice


As my grandmother would ask me daily when I lived with her while going to college, "Got any drothers?"  The first time she said that I was like, "Huh?!"  She laughed so hard.  So yes, drothers...We had a craving for fried rice one night...and when your favorite Chinese restaurant doesn't deliver, you have to get creative.  So I said, "It can't be that hard."  And it wasn't! Not only is it a super simple recipe, but it doesn't take long to cook.  There are SO many different things you can add to fried rice, but I wanted to keep it simple.  I didn't want any meat in it and I didn't want a lot of different vegetables. But you can dump whatever you have drothers for the most ;p Most fried rice recipes call for sesame oil, but I don't like the way it taste if used alone.  However, in most Asian dipping sauces for their steamed dumplings a small portion is included (which I had some sauce left over that I used).  If you don't have any leftover dumpling sauce, I included the recipe below so you can make your own!  I wasn't quite sure if I'd like the fish oil in this, but it actually made it taste really good.  If you do decide to add the fish oil, be careful not to add too much because it does have a tendency to taste "fishy".  I think I liked my version better than the restaurant!   So, I will share my genius creation with all of you & hope you have the supplies in your pantry too.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Brown Rice (use package directions for serving size, I use the 4 people serving size)
2 Eggs
Frozen Peas
Light Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
Green Onions
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
Canola Oil
Fish Sauce (hard to find in regular grocery - I got it at our International Farmer's Market)

**For a little extra taste to bring out flavors you can add fresh lime juice & white pepper to taste.  I didn't have those ingredients, but I heard that was good too.  (More along the lines of a Thai version)


Asian Dipping Sauce Ingredients if you don't have leftovers from dumplings :)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbs. sesame oil
1 tbs. minced scallions
1 tsp. minced garlic

OK, before we start, here are a few tricks I've learned over the years for making great fried rice. Number 1:  A wok - it is the best tool for fried rice. If you don't, it can be tricky but still manageable.  Number 2: If you are going to use a wok - High heat - you want it as hot as possible. If you don't have a wok - use the largest skillet you have and also use high heat.  Only stir as much as necessary and be gentle with the rice. Too many stirs may break the rice and turn it into mushy fried rice. Number 3: I think there's plenty of salt/sodium in soy-sauce, so you don't need anymore.  Don't give yourself a heart attack!  High sodium is bad people.  Number 4: VERY important key to making good fried rice - start with cold rice.  So if you are not using leftover rice and making it fresh, put it in your refrigerator till it's completely cooled off.  Ok now, let's make it!

Make It:

First cook brown rice per package directions.  When it's complete, stick it in the fridge to cool.  Make sure you toss your rice & break apart to let all the steam out and it will cool down faster in your fridge. 

Next, make your fried egg.  Scramble the 2 eggs and pour it into your hot skillet and shake it till it looks like it's making one big pancake.  Wait till it's fully cooked through & flip it.  When complete, slide it off onto a cutting board and wait for it to cool.

In the meantime, cut up green onions & garlic and set it aside.

Your egg is probably cooled down enough by now.  Cut long strips of egg and roll up the strips, then slice the rolled up egg, and repeat.  You will have a bunch of little strips of egg. Set this aside.

Next, make your dumpling dipping sauce if you don't have any.

Your brown rice is probably cool enough by now. Remove it from fridge.  Heat up oil in skillet on highest heat.  Toss in your brown rice, it should sizzle.  Drizzle a little more oil on top of rice and toss around to make sure it's all covered nicely. Don't use too much oil. You want just enough so the oil is crisping up your rice.

Then put a splash or two of soy sauce (however much you would like) I covered it enough so the rice was really browned.  I didn't measure.  Then add your dumpling dipping sauce, fish oil (a couple of splashes) and garlic.  You can toss in some white pepper at this time, if you wish to use some.

Remember - TASTE your rice, if you need more sauce or want to add any other seasonings that you think might be good - go for it.  Play around with it.  That's what I do.

Next, add your egg.

Then add your frozen peas at the end.  They will cook as you toss them in the rice.

After about 2 minutes on the high heat, it should be done! Remove from heat and toss in your green onion.  You want to do this last so you can have that extra crunch in there.

Oh- and if you want to do the whole lime thing.  Roll your lime around on the counter to get the juices flowing.  Cut it open and squeeze over the rice and toss.  Or add lime wedges to the plates & let whomever you are serving do it themselves.  I'm definitely doing this next time.  I LOVE lime!

~Viola!

Jason requested to make chicken livers on the side, so I made Thai Chicken Livers.  If anyone wants that recipe, just send me a request and I'll put it up.  They turned out amazing!  Here's a picture of it plated.

Thai Chicken Livers and Fried Rice:


Created by: Holly

No comments: